Established in 1860 when engraver Robert J Cook and W Hammond formed the partnership RJ Cook and Hammond; specialising in printing plans required for Parliamentary Bills relating to the building of railways, based in Whitehall. C F Kell & Son was acquired in 1896, responsible “for lithographing plans of estates not only for auctioneers but for land agents and owners”. In 1923 the partnership became Cook Hammond & Kell Ltd. The company remained in London, latterly in Caxton Street until the store finally closed its doors in September 2011.
National Map Centre opened the Hertfordshire office April 2003.